Hiking Trip: Bear Creek Trail
Hike Bear Creek "Trail" with ODR and Steven Miley!
A rough trail leads above tree line to beautiful views of the Hayes Range, the Delta River valley and Bear Creek below. When the trail ends, a steep climb brings you to a wide plateau that can be followed for miles.
Hiking Trip: Bear Creek
- June 5 - Register by June 1
- Meeting Time: 9:30 a.m.
- Location: Fort Greely Visitor Center
- Limited to: Minimum 4 people. Maximum 10 people.
- The trip is weather dependent.
- Participants must drive their own vehicles to and from the site (Bear Creek “Trail”).
- Participants joining these hiking trips should be in good physical shape and should expect different levels of physical exertion at times.
Bear Creek “Trail”
The route follows a straightforward trail on the north side of Bear Creek above the tree line, then ascends a short, steep slope onto a broad ridge overlooking the Delta River valley with great mountain views. We'll explore several interesting rock formations and look for Dall sheep, caribou, and marmots while we continue along the ridge for a few miles toward the headwaters of Bear Creek. If the conditions are right, we may cross the creek and follow the ridge on the south side back to the highway.
Elevation gain and maximum steepness are similar to Donnelly Dome, but mileage will be longer for those who continue the whole way, and there will be a few mellow stretches. Those interested in a shorter, easier hike will be able to return early with an assistant guide.
- Distance: 10 miles
- Elevation gain: 3000 feet
- Trail type: Hiking
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Considerations: Trail is somewhat brushy and tough to follow
To learn more about Canwell Peak, please visit:
Suggested Outdoor Gear and Clothing for a hiking trip
These items should be on your hiking checklist: Hiking backpack, Weather-appropriate clothing (think moisture-wicking and layers), Hiking boots or shoes, Plenty of food and water and First-aid kit.
- Visit the link below to see a comprehensive checklist. The list includes many more items than you'll likely need, though you can adapt it to your hiking trips needs.
$35 per person
Registration is accepted in person or over the phone. Please call +1(907)873-4058.
- The trip is open to MWR Eligible Patrons.
- Payment is due at the time of registration.