Hiking Trip: Red Rock Canyon
Hike Red Rock Canyon with ODR!
Enjoy some of the most spectacular Eastern Alaska Range, deep rugged canyons, glaciers great and small, and much more.
Hiking Trips: Red Rock Canyon
- July 3 - Register by June 30
- July 14 - Register by July 9
- August 27 - Register by August 24
- Meeting Time: 10:30 a.m.
- Location: Outdoor Recreation, Bldg. 627
- Limited to: Minimum 4 people. Maximum 10 people.
- The trips are weather dependent.
- Participants must drive their own vehicles to and from the site (Red Rock Canyon).
- Participants joining these hiking trips should be in good physical shape and should expect different levels of physical exertion at times.
Red Rock Canyon
The area just north of Rainbow Ridge contains some of the most spectacular trails in all the Eastern Alaska Range. High jagged peaks, deep rugged canyons, glaciers great and small, flowery alpine meadows, and even a small lake are the highlights of what you’ll find there. Most of the way through, you’ll encounter the canyon’s namesake rock outcrop.
- Distance: 8.6 miles round trip
- Elevation gain: 2100 feet
- Trail type: Hiking
- Difficulty: Moderate with a few difficult sections
- Considerations: Access road requires moderately high clearance and is brushy.
To learn more about Red Rock Canyon, please visit:
Suggested Outdoor Gear and Clothing for a hiking trip
These items should be on your hiking checklist: Hiking backpack, Weather-appropriate clothing (think moisture-wicking and layers), Hiking boots or shoes, Plenty of food and water and First-aid kit.
- Visit the link below to see a comprehensive checklist. The list includes many more items than you'll likely need, though you can adapt it to your hiking trips needs.
$16 per person
Registration is accepted in person or over the phone. Please call +1(907)873-4058.
- The trip is open to MWR Eligible Patrons - 16 years old and older.
- Payment is due at the time of registration.